Mitsubishi Outlander: Ignition switch
[For vehicles equipped with the keyless operation system]
For information on operations for vehicles equipped with the keyless operation system, refer to “Keyless operation system: Ignition switch” on page 1-17.
[Except for vehicles equipped with the keyless operation system]
The engine is stopped and the steering wheel locked. The key can only be inserted and removed in this position.
The engine is stopped, but the audio system and other electric devices can be operated.
The engine is running, and all the vehicle’s electrical devices can be operated.
The starter motor operates. Once the engine starts, let go of the key. The key will automatically return to the “ON” position.
● This vehicle is equipped with ignition switch illumination. • The ignition switch illumination comes on while the driver’s door is opened and remains on for about 30 seconds after the driver’s door is closed. • [Vehicles with the keyless entry system] When you get out of the vehicle and remove the ignition key, it will be illuminated for about 30 seconds. However, it will go off even while the illumination comes on if the ignition switch is set to “ON” position.
● Your vehicle is equipped with an electronic immobiliser. To start the engine, the ID code which the transponder inside the key sends must match the one registered to the immobiliser computer. Refer to “Electronic immobiliser” on page 1-4.
To remove the key
Press the key in the “ACC” position. While pressing the key turn it to the “LOCK” position and then remove.
● Do not remove the ignition key from the ignition switch while driving. The steering wheel will be locked, causing loss of control.
● If the engine is stopped while driving, the brake servomechanism will cease to function and braking efficiency will deteriorate. Also, the power steering system will not function and it will require greater manual effort to operate the steering.
● Do not leave the key in the “ON” position for a long time when the engine is not running, doing so will cause the battery to be discharged.
● Do not turn the key to the “START” position while the engine is running. Doing so could damage the starter motor.
Brake/Transmission Shift Interlock System
This vehicle is equipped with a Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) that holds the shift lever in the PARK position unless the brakes are applied. To move the shift lever out of the PARK p ...
Listing the registered portable players
Select “List Audio” using . The list of registered portable players will be displayed. ● Connecting the registered portable player to the audio system 1 Select the name of the portable play ...
You can open the tailgate automatically using the SmartKey or the handle in the tailgate. Open or close the tailgate fully using the automatic function if you have stopped the tailgate in an inte ...