Jeep Liberty: Shift Lever Override
If a malfunction occurs and the shift lever cannot be moved out of the PARK position, you can use the following procedure to temporarily move the shift lever:
1. Firmly apply the parking brake.
2. Using a screwdriver or similar tool, carefully remove the shift lever override access cover, located on the PRNDL bezel.
3. Turn the ignition to the ON/RUN position without starting the engine (engine Off).
4. Press and maintain firm pressure on the brake pedal.
5. Using a screwdriver, reach into the opening and press and hold the shift override lever down.
Shift Lever Override Access
6. Move the shift lever to the NEUTRAL position.
7. The vehicle may then be started in NEUTRAL.
8. Reinstall the shift lever override access cover.
If the light illuminates steadily
If the light illuminates steadily while driving or does not turn off after the engine starts, an emission control system malfunction has been detected. You should have your vehicle checked by ...
For service and parts needs, visit your dealer. You will receive genuine GM parts and GM-trained and supported service people. Genuine GM parts have one of these marks: ...
Vehicles with manual transmission
Shift to either first gear or reverse gear R. Turn the SmartKey to position 0 in the ignition lock and remove it. The immobilizer is activated. Apply the parking brake firmly. ...